9/5/10

Things You Should Never Say to a Preggo

This post is inspired by real comments made to me.

On behalf of pregnant women everywhere, I PLEAD with you, even if the pregnant woman you're speaking with looks like she's been eating nothing but marshmallows and cheeseburgers for eight months (because pretty much looks like a combination of the two of them), and you are seriously tempted to speak, please do not say any of the following comments:

  • "Are you having twins? You look like it."
  • And then, when confirmed it is just one child, do not follow your previous comment with: "Oh. You must be carrying at least a 9-pounder."
  • "Wow! Your ankles are huge!"
  • "Do you think you could get any bigger?"
  • "You know, my sister only gained 20 pounds when she was pregnant." 
  • "Ooooh, your booty looks like it's balancing out your belly."
  • "You look like you're ready to pop any minute."

Again, even if any of those comments are true, limit your conversation to the following (even if it's a blatant lie):
  • "Pregnancy suits you well!"
  • "You look fantastic."
  • "You don't even look pregnant from behind!"
  • "You must be taking very good care of yourself. Are you getting enough rest? Are you eating enough?"
  • And if you're tempted to ask how far along she is, please underestimate how many months. Like this: "How far along are you?"  "Seven months." "Seriously? I wouldn't have guessed you were a day more than six!"
Seriously, people... we have mirrors. We know we are the size of a planet. We know of the cute preggos down the street who honestly don't look pregnant at six months.  We give you permission to lie to us.

Signed, 
The pregnant woman with swollen ankles, with a belly big enough for twins, with a bum big enough to carry two more babies, who has gained more than 20 pounds, and who is not ready to pop for at least another three weeks. 

And so what if I've been eating nothing but marshmallows and cheeseburgers for the last eight months?  

:)

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

I totally understand. I also hated it when people would touch my belly without asking. A person doesn't normally touch me there, so how is it different when it's rounder? Glen's mom looked like she put a beach ball up her shirt when she was pregnant and got all kinds of comments. She started telling people the season she was due, instead of the month. Glen's dad also took pictures of her walking through doorways. Not cool.

You are beautiful, and you are carrying a wonderful child of our Heavenly Father. What better thing could you possibly do with your God-given (albeit stretched to its limit) frame? Good luck, my friend.

Sarah Cluff said...

The other thing I hated when I was pregnant was women who like to tell you horror stories about labor and delivery. I hated women who would tell me that they were in labor for 24 hours or that they had to push for 18 hours straight because the baby was caught on their pelvis bone. Seriously...what pregnant woman wants to hear all that? PS Labor was much much easier than I thought! It was not nearly as bad as all the stories I heard.

geri said...

Ah yes, the classy comments.

I didn't get many too many while I was pregnant...I was too busy puking for nine months straight...but I did enjoy the two or three numbnuts in my life who have asked how far along I am, when I'm definitely not pregnant.

That does wonders for the ol' self esteem!

I am positive you look beautiful in all of your pregnant glory!

:)

Heidi said...

You have such a cute blog - glad I just spotted it on Ang's list! This post makes me think of how my kids are still asking me when my belly is going to go back to "normal". After 5 kids (and my sweet tooth) I don't think it will ever go back to "normal":)

Laurel said...

I think you look fabulous! Hang in there. Can't wait to meet her.

Tiffany said...

Sometimes it amazes me that people have so little tact. Like when Cory said last night, "Wouldn't it be funny if Anna had her baby in the next two weeks and you missed that too?" Um.....no. Actually it would not. And I can't believe you would even say something like that! Please cross your legs until I get home, and I promise to be full of lovely things to say when I see you. :)

Ang said...

Oh my gosh! Anna, I love you so much! I have never been anywhere as beautiful as you are pregnant and it would frighten you to see how I looked with my 8th baby. I swear every time I get BIGGER and I completely agree about the comments. Seriously want to just lash out irrationally at some of those stupid people who should just walk around with their foot in their mouth!!


Good luck.....you are almost at the end!!!!

Emily Moffat said...

I LOVE this post! This is AWESOME! I burst out laughing at the "size of a planet" line. You are darling, Anna. Always have been. Thanks for the tutorial. I'll be sure to put it to good use! Love you girl!

Mama Bean said...

I got asked to the before I delivered M if I was having twins. I told the person NO. Thanks for pointing out I am fat AND pregnant!!