9/16/10

The Sewing Gene

I didn't think I had it in me. But apparently the sewing gene my mother inadvertently passed on to me has kicked in. It's even seeped into my subconscious mind.

I dreamed about sewing last night.

Back up a bit...

Recently a woman in my apartment complex needed to sell her 2-year-old Singer sewing machine since she's moving back to Israel and the plug-in system is different and converters are really hard on appliances like sewing machines. I saw the for sale posting and inquired. After testing a few of the 140 pre-programmed, fully electronic stitch functions, I fell in love. Bought it.


Several years back, for one Christmas my parents bought me a nice, basic Pfaff sewing machine (my brothers got nice tool sets). It's done a good job teaching me about thread tension, different sewing needles, etc., but I have been aching for more stitch options than the 15 it offered me. So I thought I'd seize the opportunity presented to me, do a bit of an upgrade and sell my machine on CraigsList, almost paying for this new-to-me Singer electronic sewing machine. Just sold it to a nice woman named Susie yesterday and I'm feeling pretty good about everything.

Then last night... I dreamed I was in a large sewing/craft store sortof like Joanns, but different than any I've ever been in. It had an amazingly large section of fabrics -- specialty fabrics and featured sewing creations below. This particular day was busy. They were going through some remodeling and needed to get rid of some inventory at ridiculously low prices. I had my shopping cart with a few super-cheap items in it that I "figured I would use someday," and was just browsing around when I saw it: A formal holiday skirt that took my breath away.

It was made of green, black and gold shimmery plaid brocade; and donned a formal, high-waisted, floor-length, A-line style; but it also had stylized lines with these large black formal buttons and diagonal lines.

Sortof like this, but without the red, much bolder black and more subtle gold metallic thread...













And sortof like this style but fuller in the back with a little train -- almost turn-of-the-century-esque...












I saw it and just KNEW it would be an ideal formal holiday skirt that I could wear for a Christmas concert with a gold or black top of some sort. I said to a woman working there, "I want this pattern, this fabric...everything to make this very skirt." The woman then got all the pieces for me, cut the appropriate amount of yardage, and I was off to pay.

I was so excited for this skirt in my dream. I figured I would be back to having a waist again by then and I would feel beautiful in the skirt. I had exactly two different styles of tops that I would either need to find or make, and I figured I could easily get it done by Christmas, since it's not quite October yet. I woke up with the images vividly in my mind and even added appropriate jewelry, as well as imagining it more appropriate for Church too.

It is so funny to me that I'm DREAMING about sewing now. My mother has been an exceptional seamstress since before I was born, and I never thought it would appeal to me. It's so much work and I can most often find and purchase clothing for less than I could make it. But now, I can't wait to finish what I already have started so I can dig in to new projects guilt free.

And who knows... maybe I'll even magically find some green, black and gold shimmer brocade and make myself a beautiful holiday skirt sometime before Christmas.