I started with this online pattern, but adapted it as I went because I thought it was a little too oblong. The average circumference of a newborn's head is 14-15 inches, so I'd recommend adjusting accordingly.

Folding the fabric in half (to cut the two pieces of each beanie at a time) I cut several out:
Sewed edges together, leaving about 2-3 inches NOT sewn:
Then, turning it inside out, you sew the 2-3 unsewn inches the other way. (This is because I folded the bottom up twice.)
Since the beanie is a bit oblong, and I prefer a more rounded look, I folded and turned the hat sideways to sew another ROUNDED line across the top. Pressing the seams flat cross-wise, I sewed on the line (as shown above too):
This gave it the rounded look I like better:
Then I folded the bottom edge twice and chose one of the cute stitches my new sewing machine has (woohoo!) and sewed the folded up edge:
To hold the folded edge in place, I sewed small lines in each of the side seams (flat):
And voila! A cute little beanie!
I made a bunch while I was at it...








No comments:
Post a Comment