11/5/09

Experience With The Time Traveler's Wife

Even though the film The Time Traveler's Wife film came out in August, Steve and I didn't go see it. We actually haven't seen many films in the theaters at all for several months since it costs $25-$35 per flick and we're working on saving money. Although the movie looked very interesting to me, I'm glad I didn't see it then because I wouldn't have had the unique experience this week.

This quarter the husband is taking a course taught by a creative executive (a.k.a executive producer) at New Line Cinema. She used The Time Traveler's Wife as a case study for the 12 students in the class and assigned them to read the book, then the several versions of scripts for the film, then the director's cut for the first test screening, and then see the final theatrical release. The husband invited me to read and discuss the steps along with him, but I wasn't as interested until he said I could come to see the movie with the class in a screening room at New Line Cinema.

When I finally had a minute to pick up the book last Friday, I did not think I would be able to finish it before the screening, but I started anyway. I knew I was in trouble when I read the book for 4 hours on Saturday and thought about the characters, and the story the entire time I ran errands and cleaned. I was hooked.

The rush of pleasure was like eating a whole bag of chocolate Twix bars when I sat down with a blanket in my pajamas on a Sunday afternoon, knowing that it was actually okay since I had no pressing work or anywhere to go for the rest of the day. The husband came over to kiss me, give me a drink of water and hug me a few times, but before I knew it, it was 10:30 p.m. I wave of guilt washed over me, thinking I missed an opportunity to call my mom and tell her about a successful Halloween night, or to call and hear any adventures from my sisters or nieces.

I took the book to work, but left it in the car to as to not be tempted before lunch. I read it the entire hour and begrudgingly left it in the car as I went back up to my office. Monday night, the only two television shows I watch were moved because of some silly baseball game, so I had an evening to... uh... clean? I think not. I returned to the same spot on the couch to read about Clare and handsome Henry, who was pained and frustrated with the lack of control over his unique "ailment" of time travel.

I even dreamed about it that night. I tried to fix their problems in my mind and I replayed their conversations over and over. The crazy thing is that I wasn't even particularly impressed with the book! Several things about the way it was written bothered me. But the story was captivating, and it was the first time I could ever wrap my brain around time travel somewhat realistically.

I surprised myself when I finished the book Monday night. The screening wasn't until last night (Wednesday), so what was I going to do for an entire day? I read the scripts. I picked up the earliest script and read it at lunch. Interestingly, I learned that the producers had 6-7 drafts and went through several script writers before coming to the final version, and even then, they re-shot and re-filmed a few scenes after the test screenings!

I was pleased with the script. It took the edginess that bothered me somewhat in the book, and removed the over-abundance of sexuality and nearly all of the vulgarity. I hurried home after work, met the husband, traveled over to Beverly Hills and parked in the underground parking of a large, office building that rests atop a long string of expensive clothing (all of which I'm confident I'd look terrible in), furniture (who knew Armani sold furniture?), and makeup boutiques. (It's right across the street from the Beverly Hills MAC (makeup) store. Oh... how I wanted to go over there!)

The screening room was your normal small theater with a large projector screen and about 25-30 larger-sized theater seats. The teacher is a petite, down-to-earth woman with shoulder-length, half-curly blonde hair and she wore a black trendy blazer with sleek denim slacks. She gathered everyone's assignments and without further ado, started the film.

All in all, the film lacked something for me. First of all, I have no problem with films being different than books. They have to be. A book is a cerebral experience; a movie is a visual and auditory experience. If a film was done exactly like a book, it'd be sooooo booooring. In fact, I believe that a movie should be different and be able to stand on its own and be engaging in its own right. However, the only time it actually engaged me emotionally (which the book did so exceptionally) was a scene that was written and filmed after two test-screenings, was not in the book, and was different than the screenplay I read at lunch!

I was a little jarred when no one moved a muscle when the credits began to roll. I watched the names carefully, and everyone applauded when their class instructor's name appeared under "Executive Producer." After the lights came on everyone discussed the changes, the additions, and the process in whole. I learned it took about 5-6 years from the time New Line acquired the book option to the actual release, the budget was $39 million, and actual profit (above and beyond expenses) is up to $31 million--well over projection. Although the film never was #1 in the box office, nor did it get rave reviews, it still made money. Good for them.

Overall, the film did tell the story well. It's a difficult story to tell since it asks a lot of its viewers to suspend disbelief -- time travel, multiplicity, a relationship that existed even before they met officially, etc. If you're curious about this process, rent the DVD when it comes out. You'll be able to see the original ending, and several completely different cut scenes.

I don't know if I would have liked the movie any more if I hadn't have read the book... or the script. I had different expectations than what was presented, and it was difficult for me to accept them. When I was watching it, I saw actors presenting scenes; I was not washed over with an overwhelming love story as the book and the script presented. Perhaps it was a disconnect in the directing, perhaps it was the fact that I did have preconceived ideas. That being said, I'll never know how it could be any different... since I can't go back in time and change anything.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

well I'm definitely intrigued....I think I'll make the ole husbando watch it with me!