I saw this the weekend it came out more than a month ago, but thought I'd include this here now anyway.
Acting by Robert Downey Jr. and Jamie Foxx was SUPERB, but particularly Robert Downey. I related to him and empathized with him, and he had a great character arc. I also think it was well-cast, including the ex-wife/newspaper editor. They portrayed a newsroom well -- cluttered and noisy. (I have a thing about authentication.) And I'd say the writing was decent too.
But there was just something "off" about the flick. I left feeling "eh." I should have been inspired to go out and serve the 90,000 homeless in L.A. that night, but it just didn't have any punch. There were a couple of scenes that were way too long and the flashes into the mind of a schizophrenic were too drawn out. They didn't pull you back in to the story like A Beautiful Mind or Shine.
Afterward, the husband said it didn't work because of the way it was edited. It's been said that a movie is made or broken in the editing room. This one broke.
No comments:
Post a Comment