2/10/12

Video From a Dad

I saw a video on Facebook today that's gotten quite a bit of buzz in the social media circles. The blog I saw it on in which it was reposted from its original source alone had nearly 3,800 comments.

I'm reposting it here to applaud this man. Coming from a young mother who remembers her teens very well, and regrets the time she wasted not appreciating the value of work and time invested in positive activities, I applaud him for his response to his daughter's immaturity.

He remained calm, wise and resolute. I thank him for fiercely working to make the upcoming generation a stronger one. It is my hope his daughter humbles herself real quick and begins to understand that her parents are not the bad guys.

Life outside of parents' care is much, much harder than you realize till you get there. There are times I ache for the comfort and security I felt when I was young, when all my cares were sweeping the floor, my outfits for school and the boys I liked.

To this man's daughter and all young women resenting their parents for trying to teach them sound principles: PLEASE understand that your parents are not wrong. I have been where you are. I remember thinking the same things. I remember manipulating my parents to try and get what I want. I remember sneaking around. Lying. I remember trying to do as little as possible, and resenting my parents for not giving me everything I wanted when I wanted.

Now I'm a real grown up, married, with a daughter of my own, facing financial struggles, dealing employment issues and worry every day. I've realized there are things I want (like a house) that I could have had now but didn't put forth the effort years ago to have them. You can choose your actions, but you can't choose the consequences.

Simply judging from the effort and thought this dad put into this, he loves his daughter immensely, and he is doing the best he can. He is trying to teach her what really matters in life. And P.S. ... It's the opposite of her silly tirade on Facebook.

I hope this young woman realizes this soon.

No comments: