1/29/10

Life of a Producer's Wife

I know I need to add more photos in my posts, but I have more to "say" than "show" right now...

A few months ago the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation approached UCLA's film department and asked for submissions (short films) for a campaign the foundation is implementing to enact policy change regarding non-traditional students in higher education. Submissions were required to be from a team of 3 grad students -- producer/director/writer, and they could submit as many well-prepared ideas as they wanted. Out of more than 70 submissions, the hubby's team was one of 5 or so who were accepted as possible projects early this month to be fully funded by the foundation. However,that didn't mean it was a done deal.

They've gone through several revisions, adjustments, etc. with their concept. I have forgotten how many all-nighters or almost-all-nighters the hubs has pulled to make deadlines. As this project has unfolded, most evenings have gone like this:

I pick him up from class Monday-Thursday at 10:00 p.m. We have a brief conversation on the drive home. He grabs a bite to eat and works on his laptop while I get ready for bed. I interrupt him for a few minutes to pray and read scriptures with me. Then I fall asleep listening to his voice chattering away with his director on Skype in the next room. This goes on for hours. Poor guy... I know he wants to sleep.

On Wednesday, the foundation gave his project the "green light." This is cause for great rejoicing for a number of reasons. First, this qualifies for one of his requirements for graduation -- producing and delivering a short film. But this opportunity means that it's not being funded by the Crowes, but by the Gates' Foundation accounts! This will also be a wonderful opportunity for the hubby to travel, meet some cool people and have more hands-on producing experience.

But with this "green light," I also saw a heavy burden rest on his shoulders. I got a taste of the producer's weight of responsibility and a morsel of what's to come in his professional career. The final outcome and the success of this project rests on his shoulders. However, this project isn't the only other thing he's juggling! He has 1 1/2 quarters left till he graduates, a thesis to prepare (which is an entire plan for a new full-length feature film), plus his normal classes, and he's a T.A. for three courses this quarter. He's swamped.

My heart goes out to him as he's being molded, stretched, tried and pushed through all this. But the same heart also skips a beat in excitement thinking about the man he'll be on the other side, namely, June.

Many may look at the long hours and days on end we spend apart and the few moments we have together as a difficult strain. Oh sure, I'd rather be chillin' at a restaurant or cuddling in front of the TV together, but I see this as a very small sacrifice in helping the man become what he needs to be.

So the wife of the producer works a full day, spends the evening alone, endeavors to keep things clean, attempts to keep quick-fix-healthy food in the house, helps the man with various design projects (which now includes his thesis), endeavors to be there for a listening ear whenever he needs it, and tries to be as little of a nuisance and as much of a pleasant, non-needy person to be around. It's amazing how far a little support like goes.

And we're only beginning. But I think it's a good place to start.

3 comments:

geri said...

So excited for Steve! He is stinkin' lucky to have you!

Orme Family said...

Very, very fun to read! I always knew you would have an exciting life! It is so good to see what you are up to. I wish you guys the best.

Ice Cream said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

This post just sings to me because I remember going through much the same thing while my husband was getting his MBA.

3 kids, pregnant with my 4th, sold our house and moved out of state into a 2 bedroom apartment, he was home 10 hours every day and slept for 8 of them, I was constantly worried about him, and I felt so alone so often. But it was all worth it and I will never regret helping him to follow his dream.

Now we have 5 kids, live in a large 4 bedroom home, husband loves his job (after 4 years at a post grad job that almost destroyed him), and now we are getting ready for him to support my dream of going back to school.