5/27/09

Terminator Salvation: Johnny-Connor-One-Note...

Gritty, lots of explosions and weak on plot. And it's the same thing over and over for two hours.

I've been a MASSIVE fan of Christian Bale since Empire of the Sun, when he was about 14 years old. And then there was Newsies. (I don't need to say any more on that here...) I missed his crazy dark indie movies, but rejoiced when I saw him come back to the mainstream with Batman Begins. So needless to say I was looking forward to seeing him again. However, he has this mole-growth on the inside of the bridge of his nose near his eye that gets bigger and bigger every movie. I know... shallow, but hey, it bugged me. Apparently he's been too busy working to take a couple days and get it removed.

The whole thing is one loud, gray explosion after another. It doesn't go anywhere, no one's characters really develop, and there isn't anyone you really want to root for. It has the pieces of a decent story, but didn't deliver. That's not to say that the original Terminators were deeply moving scripts, but hey, the bar has been raised for action remakes. So if you can't cut it, we're not going to like it.

And the digital cameo was laughably ridiculous.

No comments: