9/5/12

Progressive Life. Happy Life.

Is anyone's life perfect? Maybe there are nicer moments than others, but we all know that even people who have "everything" don't have everything. (Why be envious?)

If you have checked into my life in the last two years, you most likely already know it's been pretty rough.

 But I am happy to say that things are on the up and up! And what is it that makes my life so good? Do I have everything I want or even need? Nope. But I'm happy because my life is progressing. 

Happy List.

  1. Working from home. It's working.
  2. Spending time with Naomi. Even though I'm still on the computer half the day, I don't have the words to express how much those little moments mean to me when she comes up to me to show me her "color color" (stickers and crayon drawings), or just to say "hi" and give me a hug.
  3. Mommy play dates. Stay-at-home moms may look to these as a relief, I look at them as a luxury! I have been able to attend several park, swimming and outing play dates. So very cool.
  4. Spiritual insight. My mom used to say to me, "You are entitled to a spiritual experience every day." As a highschooler preoccupied with social attention and boys, this seemed ridiculous to me. I now know that a daily spiritual insight is not an extra. It's essential. I'm happy to say that the heavens seem to be open to me again.
  5. My home. The beauty an benefits of this place continually fill me with gratitude. We are looking at furniture. We are growing roots. I'm planning a patio garden. Decorating rooms. It feels awesome.
  6. Friends. After a year of having just one or two friends to count on, it feels amazing to have a growing circle of down-to-earth people who not only "get" us, but are in the exact same place as us.
  7. Organization. As I mentioned before, we are looking at furniture. On the top of the list is our workspace or office area. We have plenty of space for it and we practically have a blank slate to work with. Custom organization here we come! Also, we found a cockroach in our kitchen the other night at 1 a.m. so the next day I bought air-tight food storage containers for all our food. I don't even care if it's overkill. I know I live on the first floor. My kitchen stays spotless. Those things are not welcome here. They will die. My food will be safe. Before and after photos are coming. (Of the cupboard organization, not the nasty creatures from hell.)
  8. Daily schedule. Since I'm home and working too, a schedule is crucial. Both Naomi and I thrive on schedules. I get stuff done. Naomi knows what to count on. Of course I'm flexible, but I have a basic plan for the day and week. Though I'm not 100% on it, I'm in the right direction.
  9. The coolest calling. A "calling" in my church is an invitation for an assignment to help out in a particular area. My calling/assignment is Primary Chorister, which means I lead the music to the kids. I lead a 15-20 minute segment called Singing Time, and I'm responsible for the music of a 40-minute children's program to the entire congregation in October. Though I have years of music experience, I've never had this assignment before and I. Am. Loving. It. I am growing because of it, and oh... how I love to watch these kids learn to love these songs.
  10. The husband's work. He's worked on another show for the Food Network. Reality TV isn't the most glamorous work, but he came home the other day and told me he thoroughly enjoys what he is doing. He wants to work in production. He will work in production for the rest of his life. I'm cool with that. He's progressing, and he's happy. Work away, husband. Work away.
  11. Business. Not redundant of #1, but perhaps the most exciting part of my life right now is the development of a business my sister and I have been formulating for quite a while now. We haven't officially launched it yet, but it's going to be wonderful. And successful. More details to come.
Yup. A progressive life is a happy life. Happy. Happy. Happy.


We go on lots of evening walks together.

We love popsicles here.

With Grandma Becky at a Thai restaurant.

Inspecting a piece of grass at the Getty Museum.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Two things:
Boric acid kills every bug. It's not as scary as it sounds...it's a fine powder that comes in a big mustard-looking bottle, and you can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot. Squirt it along the baseboards, in cracks, under sinks, and everything that walks over it will die, die, die. I hate the evil cockroaches with a vengeance, and I haven't seen one in my house since 2001.

Second: I am the Primary Chorister, too, for the second time, and I LOVE it, too! What other calling lets you act like a fool for two full hours? Plus, I love that so many people have posted ideas on their blogs and such so I don't have to come up with all the ideas. Thank you, internet! The funniest part? I don't sing very well. My voice just doesn't go that high, so I tell the kids to just keep singing if my voice disappears. They don't care, but I feel bad for the teachers who have to listen to me.

Marissa Mills said...

I am so very happy about this post! Anna you rock! You are my inspiration to get motivated and in a routine. Naomi like always is stunning.
Finally, we had the family you mentioned in the last post over for dinner Labor Day- what a small world.

Anna Crowe said...

Cheryl: Boric Acid will be our friend. Thanks! And hooray for Primary!

Marissa: I'm glad you had the C's at your place. They'll be a great addition to your ward.

Tiffany said...

Primary chorister! that is so awesome!!
Sure wish I could hang out with the champions, mills, and crowes this weekend.... :)