12/8/11

Life's little (and big) ironies...


A list of real life ironies...


  • I have a horrible, passionate hatred of mouth-eating sounds. Just ask my family. It was a nightmare at the dinner table in my youth.

    Yet, Naomi's little smacks and lip licking when she eats is absolutely adorable and endearing to me.

  • I also have this irrational sensory problem with fidgeting. Mindless playing with the remote control or a phone during a movie. Twiddling keys or pocket change in an elevator. I'd rather scrape paint off walls with my fingernails than see it.

    Yet, I have a daughter who is the fidgetiest baby I have ever met. She fidgets with everything. She can't just suck on a bottle; she searches for the nearest thread or piece of jewelry to pick at. She can't just sleep; she pulls at the hairs of her stuffed bear or caresses the texture of her blanket in her sleep too. I can't decide whether it bugs me or not.

  • On the husband's birthday three years ago, we hung out at The Grove shopping center. (It's a really cool place at Christmastime.) We were wandering around and caught a glimpse of none other than Larry King and his stunning wife shopping at Marc Jacobs. We walked in, smiled and left. Then we debated back and forth whether we should say something. We didn't. But... 

    Exactly three years later, plus one day we spent the evening at the Kings' home in Beverly Hills. Oh and Shawn King is an absolute sweetheart. I'm honored to call that stunning woman a friend.

  • Never in a million years did I ever want to be a working mom. Especially not full time. Yet, it's a necessity right now, and I have the skills and experience to do so.

    Who would have thought I would actually like it.

  • I have a secret desire to move. My friend wanted to stay in L.A. passionately. She now lives where I want to live, and I'm in L.A.

  • I was the first in my circle of friends to adopt and promote the Twilight Series books. Then I got tired of them and got annoyed when everyone else loved them. Then I was embarrassed when the first movie came out because it was so bad.

    Then, many years later, I found myself in the middle of the hubbub of the world premiere of the Hollywood film Breaking Dawn. Red... uh... black carpet and everything.

  • The husband looked for work for a year and a half after he graduated. He finally got hired at an entertainment company and began the path to attaining his career goals.

    Then he got let go. At the worst time of year in the entertainment industry. I won't go into details, but trust me, it's ridiculous. Now we're back to square one. Bleh.

  • The double irony here is that it just so happens to be at the same time my company is going through a sale transition. Really, no one's job is secure. Especially not mine.

Neal A. Maxwell, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles once said, "Irony is the crust on the bread of life's adversities." While there are some delicious parts, our lives are pretty crusty right now.

1 comment:

Jaime Lynne said...

Here's to hoping that you get back to enjoying the chewy, warm center of life's bread very soon. Thinking of you.