Please read it.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/post/amos-and-andy-and-the-book-of-mormon/2011/06/15/AGRlHPWH_blog.html
My eyes watered in partial gratitude, and partial hope that I do not include myself in the group of "cowardly Mormons" he mentioned.
A few quotes that stood out to me were:
"I am no Mormon, but I have witnessed bigotry and ignorance directed against this American community. The LDS Church is placed in the difficult position of seeing their most sacred beliefs mocked in a nation that murdered their prophet in a shameful lynching. Broadway has given aid and comfort to the mob of ignorant folk who know nothing of modern Mormonism outside of their prejudices."and
"This new play will pander to our prejudices and treat our Mormon neighbors as we would never wish to be treated. Some Americans will allow it to confirm unthinking prejudice, while cowardly Mormons will applaud it, hoping for crumbs of respectability.
"Meanwhile the actual Mormons in our midst will keep paying taxes, making strong families with children, and dying to protect the rights of a decayed and decadent theater 'elite.'"While I do not necessarily applaud this show, I still know that God does His good even in the most debased of circumstances.

1 comment:
Great article! Thanks for all of your thoughts on the subject.
Post a Comment