12/22/10

Motherhood: A New Reality

So healing physically from the birthing ordeal has been, as my OB put it, "turtle slow." Some um... "complications." He's actually requested an additional 4 weeks paid leave from work to make sure healing is complete before I return to work. And then another 4 for a total of 8 additional weeks.

With the "complications" downstairs, at the last appointment my doc said I was one of the rare cases that it would have been better for me to deliver cesarean. I would have healed faster. There is now significant scar tissue in addition to the "complications." No, I'm not going to share publicly what they are, but trust me, it's not pleasant.

Still can't sit down for more than two hours at a time.
Have to do 3-4 damn sitz baths every stupid day.
Antibiotics & creams.
Herbal infusions.

So in addition to the new lifestyle of mothering a newborn, which, in and of itself is much slower than my previous life, I also have to still take care of myself. I have the other normal new-mother things like breastfeeding pains, getting pooped on, feeding at odd hours, etc. It's a new normal that's been very rough to get used to. Frustrating.

Enter blessing-in-disguise: Hubs still isn't employed. He searches every day, but he's also helping with little one a lot.

We just bought a 46" LED HD TV and that takes the edge off of all my down time. I actually read two books too. Counting our blessings!

2 comments:

Don, jaymie, 4 cute kids said...

Oh you poor girl! Those docs sure push the c-sections these days! All mine were..ended up with a hysterectomy at the end so just stay strong, take yer bath...time passes slow but will pass! Enjoy those naps with your babe and the reading time while you snuggle her..again..time does pass!

Jossie said...

Oh man woman! Sorry to hear that things are healing slowly but that Naomi is doing well. Merry Christmas!