A few things still irk me about the mentality of the training, one of which was the approach to the "nature vs. nurture" argument. I had a child psychology teacher who either didn't communicate effectively to help us understand what she was talking about, or didn't completely care about what she was required to discuss in the class. Probably both. Regardless, I remember reading about and discussing nature vs. nurture and thinking the whole time, "something is seriously missing in this discussion. It's not one way or the other..."
Although I haven't kept up on the latest studies, I believe the consensus among scholars, sociologists and child psychologists is: it's a combination of both. No, I am not among the list of three aforementioned groups of brain lovers, but I can tell you something I've seen out of anecdotal observation and a little bit of pondering. I propose that the "nature vs. nurture" argument isn't two sided, it's three dimensional:
1) Family Genetic History
2) Parental Influence / Rearing
3) Agency / Personal Choice
Anecdote 1 - NATURE: I have a dear friend whom I've known since their first daughter was toddling in diapers. That little toddler is now 16 years old and she has 5 siblings for a total of, yes, 6 children in the family. The friend (mother) is an intelligent, witty woman with an uncanny ability to write frustrating situations humorously. Knowing what I know about her and her husband's exceptional parenting, I laughed and was fascinated by this particular blog post of hers: Measure of a Mom.
Anecdote 2 - NURTURE: I have a sister with 5 daughters, the eldest being 11 years. With a house full of 6 emotional, dramatic females, you'd think their home was a mad house. It is not. I have several memories of arriving at their home on a random afternoon to find the two oldest quietly sitting on the couch reading books, one on the floor doing a puzzle, one at the kitchen table drawing or painting and the youngest down for a nap. It was quiet, peaceful and in order. Of course their house gets cluttered and lived in, of course my sister and her husband lose their patience at times, and of course there are sister disagreements. But overall, their girls do not bicker or call each other names, they do not wail in grocery stores for treats, and they know how to behave themselves in church and concerts.
Yes, concerts. My parents tell a story of sitting with the little girls while their mother (my sister) played the violin in a symphony concert performance. The girls are used to attending these concerts from a very young age, paying attention to pieces they know or like (since the music is played in their home) or drawing pictures on notepads when they are not interested in the music. At the close of a particular concert a few older ladies turned around to leave when they saw the 4 little girls (I think their daddy had the youngest in his arms asleep elsewhere), and were visibly startled. They commented to my parents how beautiful they were, but particularly, that they "had no idea they were enjoying a concert sitting in front of a family of small children."
One would certainly say my sister and her husband's parenting and nurturing have everything to do with all five little girls growing up so peacefully.
NEUROSCIENTIST'S STUDY - The Three Ingredients: This is an article from NPR about the brains of psychopaths and a neuroscientist's discovery in his own family history. The writer says there are three "ingredients" to making a psychopath: brain patterns, genetic makeup and abuse and/or violence in childhood.
The article clearly states it's generalized and oversimplified, but it's fascinating nonetheless. Here, this neuroscientist has all the family history and the brain patterns to make him a psychopath (nature), yet he is not. They say it's because he was loved and doted upon as a child (nurture).
I appreciate this article's direction and how it caused me to think about it all deeper. But I believe it's missing one key ingredient in the reasoning this particular man is not a psychopath: agency, or personal choice. I think we could combine the first two ingredients, brain patterns and genetic makeup, and label them both as "genetic tendencies" or nature. Then the second ingredient would be how a child is reared, which includes parenting, education, and the opportunities the child has for full emotional and social development. And the third, agency and accountability, comes in at older childhood (about 8 years). It's not just about nature vs. nurture why a person turns out the way he or she does. It has to do with how the person chooses to use his or her genetics makeup and childhood rearing to be a good, hardworking person or a psychopath.
Oh sure, there are definite genetic diseases that limit a person's ability of understanding and choice such as Down's Syndrome, Fragile X Syndrome and the like. A person with one of those may never know the full power of agency with their genes limiting their bodies in certain ways. They were definitely "born that way." But do they stand on the same level as obesity, alcoholism, sexual orientation, and, as the NPR article above introduces, psychopathy? All of the latter categories have used the same "I was born this way" argument.
I would contest that genetics (nature) and childhood development (nurture) do have a great deal of influence on a person to be a certain way. And the choice to do a particular act or another may be extremely more difficult for a person in one of those latter categories. However, we may underestimate the power of the third dimension: choice. We may just be able to choose more in our lives that we give ourselves credit for.
Yes, concerts. My parents tell a story of sitting with the little girls while their mother (my sister) played the violin in a symphony concert performance. The girls are used to attending these concerts from a very young age, paying attention to pieces they know or like (since the music is played in their home) or drawing pictures on notepads when they are not interested in the music. At the close of a particular concert a few older ladies turned around to leave when they saw the 4 little girls (I think their daddy had the youngest in his arms asleep elsewhere), and were visibly startled. They commented to my parents how beautiful they were, but particularly, that they "had no idea they were enjoying a concert sitting in front of a family of small children."
One would certainly say my sister and her husband's parenting and nurturing have everything to do with all five little girls growing up so peacefully.
NEUROSCIENTIST'S STUDY - The Three Ingredients: This is an article from NPR about the brains of psychopaths and a neuroscientist's discovery in his own family history. The writer says there are three "ingredients" to making a psychopath: brain patterns, genetic makeup and abuse and/or violence in childhood.
The article clearly states it's generalized and oversimplified, but it's fascinating nonetheless. Here, this neuroscientist has all the family history and the brain patterns to make him a psychopath (nature), yet he is not. They say it's because he was loved and doted upon as a child (nurture).
I appreciate this article's direction and how it caused me to think about it all deeper. But I believe it's missing one key ingredient in the reasoning this particular man is not a psychopath: agency, or personal choice. I think we could combine the first two ingredients, brain patterns and genetic makeup, and label them both as "genetic tendencies" or nature. Then the second ingredient would be how a child is reared, which includes parenting, education, and the opportunities the child has for full emotional and social development. And the third, agency and accountability, comes in at older childhood (about 8 years). It's not just about nature vs. nurture why a person turns out the way he or she does. It has to do with how the person chooses to use his or her genetics makeup and childhood rearing to be a good, hardworking person or a psychopath.
Oh sure, there are definite genetic diseases that limit a person's ability of understanding and choice such as Down's Syndrome, Fragile X Syndrome and the like. A person with one of those may never know the full power of agency with their genes limiting their bodies in certain ways. They were definitely "born that way." But do they stand on the same level as obesity, alcoholism, sexual orientation, and, as the NPR article above introduces, psychopathy? All of the latter categories have used the same "I was born this way" argument.
I would contest that genetics (nature) and childhood development (nurture) do have a great deal of influence on a person to be a certain way. And the choice to do a particular act or another may be extremely more difficult for a person in one of those latter categories. However, we may underestimate the power of the third dimension: choice. We may just be able to choose more in our lives that we give ourselves credit for.


3 comments:
Anna,
Well done, kiddo! In the therapy field, personal will or volition is one of the most neglected aspects of the self. For whatever reason, the general public and professionals alike have fallen in love with the "Nature vs. Nurture" question, to the exclusion of other ideas. Sadly, this also means the exclusion of critical thinking, rationality, and common sense.
Personally, I blame the alliteration. Nature vs. Nurture is catchy, and makes a far better tag line than "Complex and dynamic interaction between component factors of character develoment."
It allows people to believe the tempting idea that human behavior can be attributed to one of two things: A or B.
More insidiously, it removes the SELF from the equation. If my problems are the fault of either parenting or genetics, then I get to escape all culpability and blame. And who doesn't like to escape blame? Basic human nature tends to avoid the negative, so any escape hatch we can dive into to avoid the negative sensation of guilt is likely to be as popular as iced lemonade on the 4th of July.
Which, of course, is often crippling in therapy. People who really buy into Nature vs. Nurture have no recourse when it comes to FIXING things, because the source of the problem is believed to exist outside of the SELF. It is out of their control, and therefore cannot be changed. The problem becomes a Fact of The Universe: the sun is a burning ball of gas, gravity pulls objects together, and I don't feel happy.
This results in a paralysis of the Will, almost a denial of the existance of will. Which is, of course, ridiculous. This pattern of ascribing causality to genetics or parenting is only used at the low end of human experience. If it were a truth of human accomplishment, it would also be used at the upper end of humanity as well. We would see, for instance, a doing-away with MVP awards, and an issuing of BGAP (Best Genes and Parenting) awards. Successful businessmen would no longer be able to sell books about how they worked hard and succeeded, and instead would only be able to talk about their luck in the genetic/parenting lottery.
Simply put, it is delusional to ascribe any behavioral/psychiatric problem to genetics or upbringing. Whether alone or working in combination, both of these things only come to bear as much as the INDIVIDUAL CHOICES of the person allow.
The only caveat that I would add to this is for disorders that interfere with the full expression of will, such as schizophrenia, which interferes with a person's connection to reality. To a lesser extent, depression is also a distortion of reality, and therefore lessens the individual's ability to bring their willpower to bear against the problem.
But that is what therapy is for: to reestablish a sense of self-directedness and empowerment, so that the client can become able to CHOOSE health, in spite of genetics and parenting.
And I see it work all the time. In SPITE of bad genes and horrible childhood experiences, I see people recover and move towards mental health every day. So, like you suggested, there MUST be something else at work.
And if that something else is not the SELF, then I don't know what it is.
So yeah, I completely agree with you. The answers to the questions of mental health are complicated. Any attempt to simplify them down to the level of "A or B" is bound to fail. And fail it has.
Oh, I've been behind on my blog reading (and writing). This was a brilliant post. You stated so eloquently and framed so succinctly what I've been feeling on a daily basis since my son Ben was born 11 years ago. He's a difficult one, and it's very hard to determine what is or is not beyond his capacity. So every day is a little bit of a tightrope walk, because I don't know how much to push or acquiesce with him. I think I've determined that the best way for me to handle him is to be as close to the Spirit as possible. I've had remarkable answers to prayers and many still, small inklings that have made all the difference (and have confirmed to me the importance of my being a SAHM). Because in the end, he is God's child--not just mine.
Oh, dear, I've almost made my own blog post here. Sorry about that. You've gotten me thinking again about how I can complete the thoughts I started a while ago. Thank you.
Thank you again for your kind comments and confidence in me. I appreciate it so very much! You are wonderful, and you will be a remarkable mother, my friend.
I'm so touched by these two comments left here!
Cheryl, you are an amazing mom. Perhaps it's the preggo hormones, but I teared up when I read your message here.
And Dan? You know your response actually IS a post in and of itself, right? You have never been one short for words... :)
Post a Comment