1/22/10

Good "Foods" that Are Bad

I watched the documentary Food, Inc. this last week. It's a harsh reality, but I wasn't surprised by anything I saw. I read Master Your Metabolism a few months ago, and realized I was taking stuff into my body that was most likely inhibiting losing any weight and otherwise not good for me. I made a couple changes and viola... ten pounds less later...  So I've been looking at foods in the grocery stores differently lately (especially chicken).

Although I have a few things I haven't completely given up. We all eat foods that are bad for us, right? Guilty pleasures?  Today as I devoured some crackers, I realized I probably have more than I should. Here are a few of mine:

  • Doughnuts. I can eat any donut. Anytime. I have my favorites doughnut makers (Randy's), but boy, I can never pass up one of those tasty things no matter where they're from.
  • Handi-Snacks Cheese n' Crackers. That cheese is just a mess of chemicals. But it reminds me of afternoons at my grandma's house. "Grandma?" we'd whine, "Can I have a crackers-n-cheese?"
  • Double-Stuffed Oreo Cookies. It's strange that these aren't even the tastiest cookies around, but I love them anyway. I can eat a dozen in a sitting. Easy. (Although I haven't done that in years.) Do we know what is in that white stuff? Nope.
  • Diet Mt. Dew. The hubby despises anything with that "diet" after-taste, but I have grown to love Diet Mt. Dew a whole lot better than the "real" stuff with hydrogenated corn syrup. It bothers me a little when I pour a glass of the almost-glowing fluorescent yellow liquid because it reminds me of the atomic fluid waste at the nuclear plant Homer works at on The Simpsons, but then I just swallow and the bothered feeling goes away.
  • Trix Cereal. About once per year I deviate from my attempt-at-healthy breakfast cereals and buy the completely artificially colored, artificially flavored, sugar-laden, dye-your-milk-an-odd-shade-of-purple  little spheres. And I loved it when they had the "fruit shapes" a few years back. I just had that yearly Trix-Trick in November.
I know I have more. Perhaps I'll continue later since this is so much fun. What are your "Good Foods that are Bad For You"?

1 comment:

Chris said...

My biggest weakness are those pink and white frosting covered animal cookies with the little sprinkles. There is something in them that never lets me feel satisfied. I have shamefully eaten an entire bag of those things before. They are packed with all sorts of trans fats, hydrogenated oils etc. Complete garbage but I still have to have them every once and a while. PLUS sometimes they are on a huge sale. I got them for a dollar a bag once.