Jumping forward to early this week, I opened my mailbox to find a shiny white and green envelope with familiar handwriting addressed to the husband and me. As I slipped my finger inside to break the seal, I immediately caught sight of the glitter and shiny green envelope interior. I giggled all the way to my front door.
A Christmas Card.
Inside was a generous, early Christmas gift from my parents: the equivalent of airplane tickets to Salt Lake City. We get to have a snowy, cold Christmas after all!It's silly really. People travel home for Christmas all the time. But words can't express my excitement and the warmth in my heart as I imagine sitting quietly in my parents' warm living room, entranced by the slow-fading lights on the tree, listening to my dad play endless Christmas arrangements on the piano.
That's Peace on Earth to me. I don't care about opening presents. I don't care about grand holiday dinners. Christmas to me is feeling cozy in a warm house when there's a snow storm outside. Christmas to me is music concerts, performances and endless MoTab arrangements. Christmas is being with people I love. Christmas is being home. (And writing that spontaneously drew tears to my eyes.)
Though, I have to get through two whole holidays first...
1 comment:
Funny, just the other day I started thinking about Christmas. This was a major shock to my system because I really love halloween and rarely think about the "holidays" til all the spookiness and dressing up is over. But for some reason I was nostalgic for hot choclate and finding gag gifts. Either I'm getting sentimental... or old. :o)
Post a Comment