9/2/09

1 Year Anniversary

Today, September 2, 2009 marks one year since our arrival in Los Angeles, California. Has it gone fast? Has it gone slow? It feels like... well... a year.

It's been difficult and pleasant. I thought I'd mention a couple notable experiences that have marked our new life in Los Angeles:

• Sept. 2, 2009 – Depart Utah. Stayed overnight in St. George after a tire blew out on I-15.
• Sept. 3, 2009 – Arrive in Los Angeles. The weather is beautiful. The traffic is thick (even in the middle of the day). And our patience is extremely thin to non-existent. We move in our stuff. A friendly neighbor offers us popsicles. The following week we spend unpacking with a couple trips to the beach. The Husband’s cousin stayed with us for a few days. He was super nice to help us out. Glad he was patient with us.
• Sept. 7 – Ant infestation and repacking our stuff into boxes for fumigation.
• Sept. 8 & 9 – Re-unpack our stuff.
• Sept. and Oct. – Looking for work and building my Web site (http://www.theluisadesign.com/) to feature my portfolio and resume. The Husband started school and made a few close friends in his program.
• Nov. 3 – Started work at C&A Advertising. It’s pleasant, but quiet.
• Nov. 7 – Brief trip to Utah for a date with my dad to the premiere of A Giant Among Men, a film about Gordon B. Hinckley.
• November – Auditioned and was cast in Scarlet Pimpernel, but turned it down when I realized that they have rehearsals and performances on Sundays. Discovered that’s standard here. Sadness.
• Dec. 5 – The Husband’s birthday. Took him to The Grove Mall and had a delightful time. It’s an incredible place there.
• December & January – Had a hard time feeling Christmas-y. Uneventful holidays, although it was pleasant being with my sister’s family. The Husband is called as 2nd Counselor in the bishopric.
• February – Loving 60-70 degrees every day. The Husband’s in the middle of the 2nd Quarter of school; doesn’t realize all the stuff he’s learning, but he’s constantly talking in “film speak.”
• February 14 – Laid off from C&A Advertising. Complete surprise. It was dreary and rainy that day, just like how I felt inside. Started rebuilding my website from scratch.
• March – Still loving 60-70 degrees every day. Still looking for full-time work, although I’ve picked up some freelance stuff. The Husband is frustrated with the weaknesses of the program. We knew that this wouldn’t be easy, but it’s been difficult in different ways than we thought. I’m reading lots of scripts with and for the Husband to find his thesis project, which can also be a piece to get his producing in the real world too.
• April – Still loving 60-70 degrees. Back full-time at C&A Advertising. It’s quiet and insecure. I feel like it’s not very permanent. Also had an opportunity to sing an Easter Cantata; deeply moved and met some very neat people. Assisted the Husband in casting for scenes for class projects. It was neat being on “the other side of the table.” My family came to stay with us for a few days. It was like heaven having them near me like that.
• May – It’s still 60-70 degrees, and it’s starting to feel chilly. Will summer come? How long will this job at C&A last?
• June – The Husband finished his first year of grad school. Secures (now owns) a script for his thesis project. Trip to Hawaii. I turned 30.
• July 14 – Laid off from C&A Advertising… again.
• July – Reading books and scripts. Looking for work. I’m good at it now. (Had 5 interviews in 3 days!) The Husband travels to Virginia and then New York City for more than a week to help his brother out. When he told me he was standing on 42nd and Broadway, I started to weep. He saw Mary Poppins and I was green with envy. Has lunch with Wendy Finerman (producer of Forest Gump, Devil Wears Prada, Stepmom, P.S. I Love You).
• July 31-Aug. 2 – We meet up in Chicago for his Dad’s Baptism.
• Aug. 3 – First day of work at Grubb & Ellis Company. Starting to feel a little warmer—like summer.
• Aug. 11-12 – The ants are back. Packing, fumigating and unpacking... again.
• Aug. 13-15 – The Husband’s deep sea fishing trip with my dad, brothers and brothers-in-law. Spent the weekend with my sister in Hemet.
• The rest of August – It got up to 85 in West LA. I like it a little warmer. I miss theater. I sing all the time, imagining I’m auditioning or on stage. It feels so far away. I wish I could go to the beach more often. It’s so close… but real life gets in the way.

I have my eyes set on a future existence full of flavor, excitement and adventure even though right now it’s quite vanilla and... well... normal.

No comments: